There is a lot that goes into touring and buying a new home. After all, it is going to be the place that your family will call home for years to come. With so much on the line, you will want to make sure that nothing is overlooked as you tour the home for the first or second time. In order for you to make the most of your home tour here are some things that you should look for when doing the walk-through of the property.
There are a lot of things that you will not be able to inspect the first time through. But knowing what to look for certainly gives you an advantage the first time around the property.
- Take a look around the yard and beyond the property border. You may think twice of buying the home if it sits on a busy intersection or the backyard borders a major roadway.
- Make a mental note of the floor plan as you walk around the home. You will want to take note of special rooms that may not show up on the datasheet. If you are looking to remodel the home, then look at any walls that could potentially be removed to give the home the floor plan that you desire.
- Look for signs of water damage. If you see any discoloration or rust looking spots, it could be a sign of roof leakage are other issues that may be lurking behind the walls.
- Check out the roof and the gutters. Look to see how many layers of shingles are on the roof. The gutters should be tight against the home and not drooping or sagging in spots. Look for rust and small cracks where the system has malfunctioned.
- Take note of the electrical box. Look at the breakers to make sure they are not outdated. Many older boxes are being replaced by newer ones when homes are sold.
- Look at the furnace and air conditioner. Look for an installation date or a manufacturer date. The older the unit just means you will have to replace it soon.
- Look for cracks in the foundation or uneven floors. It could be a sign of a much larger problem.
There are a lot of things that you have to look at before making the decision to buy a home. But knowing what red flags to look out for when touring Calgary houses for sale will greatly help keep you on the right path to finding the perfect home for your family.