Why is software deprecation occurring?
The software is created to solve specific business problems according to existing requirements on the basis of selected technologies. Based on this, we can conclude that obsolescence occurs:
- due to changes in requirements;
- due to the inability to implement new tasks within the framework of the old technology;
- due to the lack of software support.
Let’s consider these points in more detail.
Software obsolescence due to changes in requirements
Changing requirements is the main reason why software needs to be upgraded, because programs can no longer cope with their tasks.
What changes in requirements are there?
- Changes may occur in the legislation, during which accounting or calculations should be carried out in another way;
- Changing the number of users. It means that initially the program was designed for several people, and then there was a need for as many people as possible to use it;
- Requirements for fault tolerance. There are modules whose temporary failure is not critical, for example, the storage of document templates. But if we are talking about an online store or a banking system, a refusal for an hour is a direct loss, such a situation is unacceptable;
- User access to the system through another device (for example, through a mobile device).
There is no need to change the software if the requirements do not change for a long time.
Failure to complete new tasks with old technologies
This point is related to the first one. Most often, it is easier to completely rewrite the program than to try to support an outdated version. This is due to the fact that outdated software neither architecturally nor technologically meets the new, changed tasks.
Why is this happening? When a client invests money in development, he hopes that he will use the product without problems and for a long time. The reasons for this are the following:
An incompetent developer who did not take into account the possibility of scaling and supplementing the software package. To prevent this from happening, we offer you our services for software development and modernization: https://sumatosoft.com/
industries/advertising-and- marketing-automation- development. We guarantee you high quality, professionalism, responsibility and reliability on our part. We are sure that you will be satisfied.
- Initially short-sighted or incorrectly compiled TK.
What does obsolescence of software lead to?
In business, one of the most important and main tasks is to reduce costs. As for the software, the following criteria are distinguished:
- Development cost;
- Ownership cost (how much maintenance and rework costs);
- License fees, if the software is purchased.
When new tasks appear with outdated software, the cost of ownership increases significantly.
And, as mentioned earlier, if the requirements do not change, then this does not happen.
However, there is another problem, such as the outdated documentation. When updating the software, no one makes changes to the documentation for the program. And as a result, it does not correspond to reality. This is already a reason to start upgrading.
The first sign that it is necessary to upgrade the software is the frequent occurrence of errors.
In what cases do you need to prepare a technical specification for software modernization?
- it is necessary to refine the functionality of the system to meet new business requirements;
- outdated development is used, the number of errors has increased;
- the load on the software has increased significantly;
- the software does not meet the requirements for performance and fault tolerance;
- there are significant architectural shortcomings that negatively affect the flexibility of the system;
- the software is not scalable enough;
- there is no support from the system developer;
- there is no control over the data due to the lack/incompleteness of documentation for the software used;
- there was a need to use more modern forms.
What are the ways to solve the problem with the obsolescence of software products?
- you can buy ready-made software, implemented under a license, with further configuration for existing business processes;
- independently upgrade outdated software;
- contact a team of professional developers. KandaSoftware, a software maintenance and support company, will help you cope with this task. It is a company that provides comprehensive world-class software solutions for various technologies: https://www.kandasoft.com/
Our team of specialists will conduct a thorough pre-project survey, generate a competent technical specification, develop the architecture, carry out all the necessary improvements and migrate the data to the updated system.
Software modernization is necessary for survival in modern business conditions. Fast and error-free work is the main competitive advantage that allows you to retain customers and partners.