Security is a topic on the mind of many companies and business professionals. Today’s workforce is often dispersed, located in a variety of remote work locations, and for many, the mobile workforce is essential. Having workers accessing sensitive, private, and valuable information via smartphone can pose a challenge to many, however, it doesn’t have to thanks to mobile VPN technology.
What is a VPN?
A VPN has become an essential tool providing secure online access and privacy to many businesses, organizations, and agencies. However, the common worker and mobile (smartphone) user, may not be terribly familiar with VPN technology yet. Simply put, a VPN provides the user with a safe and secure way to use their smartphone device online. For the Android ecosystem, which dominates in mobile OS penetration Globally with more than a billion users, there exists a number of Virtual Private Network (VPN) solutions, including Surfshark, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, and others. TechRadar has recently looked at several solutions and they do caution to be careful if selecting a solution from the Google Play store simply because it is free! If you happen to be really eager to get started you can be safe immediately and get Surfshark VPN for Android
Why Use a mobile VPN?
The remote workforce in America is growing at a staggering pace. Many workers find themselves splitting their time between the office, a home office, a remote office location (like a co-working space), or simply try to stay connected regardless of where they are, for example, while visiting a local coffee shop! For anyone who finds themselves with the need to frequently connect to the Internet, particularly for sensitive work, banking, and for other tasks requiring access to private information, you should definitely be using a mobile VPN on your smartphone. The reasons are many, however, most important is that VPNs use a process called tunneling to give you a private connection on an Internet-connected device. (Source: lifewire)
The Common Scenario
Imagine this, you find yourself on a business trip and have some pressing matters to deal with for work. Naturally, you likely opt to access your office network using your hotel Internet. Alternatively, perhaps you seek out the comfort of the nearest Starbucks for a hot coffee and some precious free WiFi. Now imagine the following. A hacker sitting in or near the same public location is connected to the same public Wi-Fi hotspot. This person could then be using tools or apps that are designed to view your browsing activity, steal keystroke activity, login password sequences, and even view personal or sensitive documents. Luckily though, you’ve been using a mobile VPN on your Android and thankfully you are safe – this is the best scenario!
It should be pointed out also that an added bonus of a mobile VPN is that they can also be configured to block ad trackers which can potentially infringe upon your privacy – you can never be too safe! We’ve already mentioned here that there are many choices available when it comes to a mobile VPN, however, the functionality and features can vary widely.
Features & Benefits
Using SurfShark as an example, here are some of the features of this suggested solution that users will appreciate:
- Connect Multiple Devices –It’s great that you’ve secured your devices, however, why stop there? Connect & use all your family devices simultaneously. You can protect as many devices as you’d like at once with this VPN.
- WhiteLister or Split Tunneling – Split tunneling creates separate “tunnels”. One of them leads through a VPN, and the other bypasses it completely. You’re sending some of your traffic through an encrypted VPN tunnel, and the other goes through the usual passageway. This can be very handy when accessing financial websites and online banking.
- Block Phishing and Ad Trackers – Ads and trackers are recognized by their domain and blocks them. When it comes to malware and phishing attempts, the app scans a database of millions of entries. These data are constantly updated and the VPN service decides whether the link you’re about to click is safe.
- Go Incognito – Camouflage Mode makes sure that even your internet provider can’t tell that you’re using a VPN
- No Logging – Surfshark does not monitor or keep logs or other tracks of users’ activity – rest assured that your privacy is being respected.
Many more features are also available to keep your mobile Internet experience safe and secure – Enjoy, and be safe out there! Users of the Google Play store will find Surfshark Here