For optimum utilization of available agricultural land resources on a sustainable basis, timely and reliable information regarding their nature, extent and spatial distribution along with their potential and limitations is very important.
The efficiency and accuracy of data are improved when remote sensing data products and GIS are used. Spatial tools such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) for storing and analyzing spatial data can help us make better decisions in agriculture, land development, environmental protection and restoration. Specifically this decision making tools can be used in the context of agriculture in assessment of crop area extent, management of water resources, identification of pest attacks and diseases, yield assessment studies, land suitability assessment for agriculture disaster management and precision agriculture.
Participants will apply their new skills to one of several case studies in topics on agriculture, pest management, crop monitoring, water resource management and risk assessment among others. This course will offer a mixture of lectures, demonstrations and hands-on exercises using open source GIS and RS software.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Agricultural experts, soil scientists, Animal Scientists, agronomist, entomologists, ranch managers, farm managers, environmentalist, farmers and students.
No prior knowledge of GIS is required. Participants will be working on their own laptop with Quantum GIS (QGIS).
- Understand the basic concepts of GIS and Remote Sensing
- Understand various integrations of GIS and RS Agriculture
- Understand how precision farming and how it’s applied in Agriculture
- Understand Digital Image Processing Techniques in Agriculture Resource Management
- Understand Precision farming using GIS and RS for Crop management
- Expose participants in GIS and RS applications in Water management in agriculture
- Understand GIS and RS applications in disease/pest management
- Understand participatory method in agriculture resource management in context of GIS and GIS
- Publish dynamic and interactive agricultural based map in the internet
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request to a minimum of 4 participants. You can have it delivered in our training centre or at a convenient location.
How to participate
You can participate as an individual or as a group. Participants attending as a group enjoy a discount of up to 15% for a group of 10 or more participants.
You can apply to participate as a group or as an individual by selecting the (Register Individual) or (Register Group) buttons.
Venue: Indepth Research Training Centre, Westlands Nairobi.
Event Date: 17th – 21st April 2017.
(Visited 185 times, 1 visits today)