GNSS interference exists everywhere and comes from many different sources, identified and unidentified, intentional or unintentional. The 1dB effect on GNSS of the proposed LightSquared signal would have been negligible compared to what already exists. The reason why the LightSquared plan encountered so much opposition was not because of its effect on GNSS. It was because of its effect on the competing business models of large companies and special interest groups.
• The FCC will create standards for GNSS receivers
• GNSS manufacturers will be forced to build better receivers
• GNSS users will benefit from better receivers at a lower cost
• Interference monitoring and reporting will become a desirable feature of GNSS receivers
• Bands near GNSS spectrum will be freed for more efficient use for all types of productive technology.