NEWTON, MASSACHUSETTS (USA) – Caliper is excited to be supporting the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Smart City Air Challenge.
Caliper is supporting the challenge through an in-kind match that will provide Caliper geospatial technology to local governments who incorporate Caliper software into their EPA grant proposal. The Caliper grant, valued at $33,000, will be awarded to the two winning local government agencies. It is Caliper’s goal to provide the geospatial technology that supports the objectives of the EPA’s challenge.
The EPA’s challenge seeks demonstration projects for local governments who are working to transparently improve air quality data management through innovative approaches to leveraging modern technology.
The Caliper grant provides a one-year license of each of the following solutions. The ongoing maintenance of the technology would be the responsibility of the local government recipient after the one-year period.
- TransModeler Traffic Simulation GIS
- Includes the Comprehensive Modal Emission Model (CMEM), that at present is claimed to be the most detailed and best tested model for estimating hot-stabilized vehicle exhaust emissions at different speeds and accelerations.
- TransCAD Transportation Planning GIS
- Includes the MOBILE6 emission factor model for predicting gram per mile emissions of Hydrocarbons (HC), Carbon Monoxide (CO), Nitrogen Oxides (NOx), Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Particulate Matter (PM), and toxics from cars, trucks, and motorcycles under various conditions.
- Includes the EPA’s MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES) that replaces MOVES as EPA’s official model for estimating emissions from cars, trucks and motorcycles. MOVES is a state-of-the-science emission modeling system that estimates emissions for mobile sources at the national, county, and project level for criteria air pollutants, greenhouse gases, and air toxics.
- TransCAD for the Web
Caliper is a leading developer of mapping, redistricting, transportation, and GIS software, including Maptitude®, Maptitude for Redistricting, TransCAD®, and TransModeler®. Caliper software is used by more than 75,000 users in over 80 countries.