RECRUITERS Post your GeoJob Ad Today
Today (June 9, 2016), Yahoo Japan Corporation (hereinafter, “Yahoo! JAPAN”) introduces geomagnetic indoor positioning technology for the first time in Japan in its “Yahoo! Maps” application (Android version). Note: The “Yahoo! Maps” app now provides location finding and route navigation inside Shinjuku Station, Shibuya Station and Tokyo Station. 10 million people downloaded their app in March alone.
- This application enables location finding and route navigation indoors of maze-like Shinjuku, Shibuya and Tokyo stations and their undergrounds.
- The application uses the geomagnetic indoor positioning technology provided by IndoorAtlas Ltd (www.indooratlas.com). The indoor location finding function is only provided in the applications for Android versions (Android 4.3 or higher).
- Yahoo! JAPAN has concurrently renewed the “route navigation” function, and has started to provide a new function whereby the maps and navigations are automatically switched according to the current location, similar to car navigation (route navigation function has been renewed for both iOS and Android versions).
- The existing map/navigation application was faced with the problem that location finding and route navigation were not possible indoors. “It is difficult to find out which ticket gate and which exit I should use.”, “I get lost in the station.” were some of the users’ views that we had been receiving.
- By using geomagnetic technology which enables precise indoor location finding, and by newly incorporating map information of indoors and undergrounds of 3 terminal stations in the Kanto area (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Tokyo stations), the most suitable route to the destination will be navigated even from the indoors of maze-like terminal stations.
- Yahoo! JAPAN will continue to provide indoor location finding and route navigation function in other large-scale stations and commercial facilities in the future.
- “Route navigation” function, which allows the search of the route from the current location to the destination, has been renewed so that maps and navigations will automatically be switched in the display similar to car navigation. The distance from one landmark (e.g. traffic crossing) to the next will be displayed, so users can just follow the navigation to the destination without getting lost. If the user strays from the set route, or will not make the departure time of a public transportation displayed in the route, the user can search the route most suited to the current situation again with one tap.
- In March 2016, downloads of “Yahoo! Maps” application exceeded 10 million. Moving forward, Yahoo! JAPAN will strive to provide a wide variety of solutions and added value for users’ travels and outings through our map services.“Yahoo! Maps” application: http://promo.map.yahoo.co.jp/map/