By Yess Velázquez
Cyberattacks have been a growing concern for everyone in the past few years, especially due to the pandemic and all those new online jobs. Many continue to be unaware of the risks and why maintaining good cyber health is important, but that needs to end now. Cyberattacks have become more frequent than anyone could like and can cause huge damage.
Having good cybersecurity involves not only businesses but also each one of us in our daily life activities. Usually, hackers point to big companies due to the amount of money they can find, but that doesn’t mean hackers aren’t pointing at people. We must understand the risks and know that our money can be in danger, but also our personal information.
Continue reading and discover how to stay safe and prevent a cyberattack.
What is a cyber-attack?
A cyber-attack is when a hacker intends to steal your data, such as documents, passwords, email access or different platforms, etc. That can be achieved due to many factors, such as weak passwords, old system versions, unexpected downloads, malware, etc.
Hackers find new ways to attack people and businesses as technology evolves, so our cyber security must also evolve. Cyber-attacks can also be caused when using unsecured apps or platforms or even when using public Wi-Fi. When people are unaware of this and the practices we can make to prevent them, they’re vulnerable to all cyber risks.
Many cyber-experts have been studying this, allowing us to have tools such as the PIA’s guide to understand what to do and how to do it to achieve good cyber-health.
5 ways to protect ourselves from cyber-attacks.
- Learn to identify theft, fraud, and extortion.
- Use antivirus for malware, spoofing, and more.
- Always use the latest updates on platforms, systems, and apps.
- Create strong passwords on all portals and change them every four months.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi.
- Don’t click on suspicious ads, and learn to identify them.
- Always navigate on secure websites.
- Don’t share passwords between portals or with others.
- Use VPNs and Password Managers.
- Always activate the multifactor authenticator.
How can I prevent cyberattacks on my company?
Protecting yourself from cyberattacks is just as important as protecting your business, especially when your employees use computers and mobile devices for work. One of the things that you can do to improve the cyber health of your business is to create training programs so that they can understand the importance, risks, and steps to achieve good cyber security.
Meanwhile, you can implement the following practices:
- Develop cyber security policies.
- Perform a cybersecurity risk analysis once a year.
- Have a professional, ethical hacker that tests your cyber health every six months.
- Install spam filters and antiviruses/antimalware software on all companies’ computers.
- Create protection plans in case of a data breach.
- Separate personal and company data and information.
All security practices work, but these are the most important. You must remember that having good cyberhealth and preventing these attacks gets better with time, so we must be consistent in our practices to ensure excellent protection.
5 risks of having bad cyber-security:
Hackers are always looking for new ways to attack, with the only purpose of achieving certain kinds of information or access. To prevent this, we must also know the risks we have when we don’t have good security practices. Some of the things that hackers do to obtain this purpose are the following:
- Install harmful software.
- Download viruses and other malware, such as the banking Trojans.
- Block your computer while they download the data, such as passwords and access to portals.
- Phishing with emails, messages, pop-ups, or ads.
- Hacking your password due to its weakness or constant reset.
What are the benefits of having good cyber-health?
We don’t really need to investigate a lot to understand the benefits of protecting ourselves from hackers, but we must certainly understand their importance. Their benefits can go from protecting your data to protecting your whole company. But how does it help?
First of all, it helps us maintain strong passwords that will prevent hackers from accessing our platforms and accounts. It also allows us to protect sensitive information, such as our personal data or even the ones of employees or clients. You can control viruses and other malware by deleting all your data from computers and phones. It prevents you from losing all your money to hackers. Like these, many other benefits can be given from good cybersecurity, so we recommend you start implementing all practices in your devices.