Technology has led to an increase in the importance of data and the ability to gather, store and analyze data in extremely large amounts. This has changed the manner in which business is conducted as well as changing the type of business professionals that are required and in demand in the job market.
The top jobs for the next decade will mostly be in big data, and it is likely that these will be in businesses of some form. Big data is currently being used in the medical field, logistics and utilities, pretty much any sector that has an online element. But the biggest gainer is noted as the business sector. This is perhaps the reason that the online business analytics masters is trending in the US as most of these top jobs can be secured with this qualification.
Below are jobs commonly listed that are related to business and could be secured with the right online business analytics masters. All of these jobs would allow you to enter a career with a long-term future, but also one in which you are likely to earn a considerable salary, with the added opportunity to branch out on your own, once you have the requisite skills and experience.
- Technical recruiter. After you complete your online business analytics masters, you could become a technical recruiter. These are recruitment personnel who specialize in recruiting and screening professionals in the IT, data and technical sectors. The use of data helps technical recruiters to work with their corporate clients to assess their hiring needs, search the market for the strongest candidates and then source candidates that are best suited to the job opening. An understanding of analytics and the precise needs of the business are essential, and you’d have to have the skills to be able to present data-based recommendations to the business in relation to the staffing requirements versus available talent. This is why taking an online business analytics masters is so crucial.
- Data analyst. These data gurus gather information and data about a range of different topics by designing and distributing large-scale questionnaires. This job requires a good understanding of data analysis software but also good communication skills. Data analysts not only analyze data but also recruit and engage with participants. Having gathered the data, the data analyst then needs to translate the raw data into relatable findings and reports for clients that they can easily understand.
- Business analysts. If you take an online business analytics masters, what better job to take after than a business analyst role? Whether it is in finance, healthcare or the charity sector, if you need to make business decisions then this role is required. The role is predominantly on managing, adapting and making plans for the company to reach its long-term goals. An analyst could be brought in for a specific project or can be used on an ongoing basis by the firm. It is primarily about understanding the current organizational situation, noting the future needs and possible context and then determining solutions that will allow the company to meet these needs and reach its goals. The role involves information and software systems. The data analyst will have to show a great understanding of the organization, how it works, the overall sector it is in and how to develop the business’ services or products. These are skills you can pick up on an online business analytics masters.
The role is specific to the world of business, and a recent trend has been to complete an online business analytics masters to gain the detailed skills required to analyze and use big data for business.
- Data scientist. This technical profession sees talented data scientists mining and interpreting large, complex data sets for corporations and big business. This requires specialized IT knowledge such as clustering, regression analysis, decision trees, and other data mining skills as well as skills and knowledge gained from an online business analytics masters. Data is at the heart of this profession and as a data scientist, you’ll be at the center of developing models that inform actions, plans and strategic operations. While you may be buried in data as a core part of your daily job, you’ll still need to be a people person as you’ll be working and partnering with less technical teams and will need to translate statistical data for those without the technical knowledge that you have.
- Data architect. This technical profession requires important problem-solving skills and significant attention to detail. Data architects use data-oriented computer programs and language to develop databases, repositories and data strategies for corporates. While this technical job does require technical proficiency, it also harnesses creative skills such as visualization and analytical understanding, so is a great option after you complete your online business analytics masters.
These roles are often linked and interrelated and depending on the electives that you choose when studying an online business analytics masters, it is a distinct possibility that you will be able to switch between such roles depending on their availability and your willingness to embrace change and career advancement. Because the basic tenants of the roles are very similar and all involve a concrete understanding of how to gather, store and use data for success in any field, once you have the basic skills, it is possible to be able to do more than one of these roles. The master’s in business administration, is widely considered to be the top area of business to study as it provides a general overall preparedness to run any business. However, this has arguably been surpassed by online business analytics masters as the best general degree course to undertake for all business avenues, as it has been shown that having data is one thing, but it will be in the understanding and use of this data that will differentiate between successful businesses and those that fail.
Research shows that as of 2020 there were over 2.7 million jobs posted for some form of data scientist or analyst, with 59% of these being in business. These professionals are also able to command top salaries with the average wage coming in at over $100,000 per annum. These are also the roles or jobs that will cause the most disruption to the world of business.
It is a way of looking at the business and planning for the future that takes into account everything which has preceded in the business’ history and the overall context. It’s also a way of planning based on actual scenarios. Those businesses who use big data and then recruit the trained staff to be able to analyze, interpret and plan with this data will do better than those who do not, regardless of the specific sector or type of business. If you are not using big data or don’t have staff who are trained to use big data, then the organization or business will be left behind. It is not debatable, and the next wave of business innovation and disruption will certainly be in data analytics. Learn the skills yourself on an online business analytics masters or offer the opportunity to your staff members.
Considering that most of the jobs in big data will be in business, an understanding of how to gather, analyze and then monetize big data for business is a skill that will stand you in good stead over the next decade in the job market. The best advice that can be given when building a career or making a career change is to choose those areas or sectors that have scope for growth as well as those that show prospects of longevity. As long as human interaction, business, shopping and social gathering takes place online, then there will be scope for roles in big data.
Data is arguably only going to get bigger and although the idea of AI and automated systems being used to mine or utilize this data has been postulated as the future of business and analytical thinking and planning. There will always be a need for a critical analysis of the stats and the context from a human point of view. The sector has both diversity, variety and longevity.
E-learning for big data jobs
As aforementioned, online courses are growing more popular and an online degree would be a great starting point for those with some experience or an initial degree. The go-to course would be the online business analytics masters and this has been trending recently as more businesspeople realize the importance of data and the ability to analyze it and use it for business development.
Studying online has proven to be the top way to improve career options and it is a popular choice as there is no need to take time off work or sacrifice large amounts of family time. However, there are myriad courses out there and it is useful to have an idea of what to look for in an online course to effectively enter the data analytics sector.
Check the registration and accreditation as there is no point paying for a course and spending time studying only to find that the course is not recognized or accredited with the required bodies such as the AACSB.
Compare the content of the course with others put there and determine whether it covers all the aspects of data analytics and big data. If this is the sector that you want to be in, then the selected course must be directly relevant.
Ensure that tech training will be included in the course. Data management and analytics, especially big data, is done using software and technology to organize data for analysis. These must be industry standards and used widely in the field. There will be no point learning outdated technologies, and before you register ensure that Tableau, SPSS and python are part of the program.
Customize the degree or course to suit the specific areas you are interested in or that the business requires. Any college or university program worth doing will have some form of flexibility worked into the curriculum. You will need to design your learning to suit your context. The core learning experience may be the same all round, but should you need electives in cyber security or leadership and statistic analysis, make sure that you ask and then plan for these.
Lastly as it is an online offering, you need to make sure that there is the requisite amount of support and assistance should you require this. Ensure that you have chosen well and there is ongoing support for the online course that you select.
Building a sustainable career based on big data.
Demand is high for personnel in the data industry, but specifically in the business sector. Data that can be used to enhance business or improve processes and products is the way of the future and will provide a solid career path for those who have the requisite skills.
The first step on this re-skilling or up-skilling process to secure a sustainable job is to be informed about what big data is and then you need to understand how to use it. This will entail some form of study or training and it is likely that if already working in the business, you will have to do this online and part time. Once you have chosen a reputable training provider and done your research as to the best online business analytics masters courses then it will be about completing the course.
These are the easy steps, and normally it would be the sourcing of a job that would be the difficult bit, yet with the rise in the number of data analytics positions globally, this last step will be a lot easier than ever before if you have the right skillset. The jobs are out there in abundance, so do the research and prepare for them. It has been suggested that managers have a clear understanding of what they want to use big data for, prior to embarking on any study as then they will be able to cogently direct such study from the get-go, designing a course in analytics or data science that will precisely fit the role or changes in the business that they want to achieve.
Develop a clear plan for a career in dig data and analytics and then work through this plan to create a sustainable career with a bright future. The jobs in data science and analytics are there and are expected to be there for the foreseeable future — they pay well and are in high demand. It is a solid choice and the investment in training and qualifications in this regard will be a good investment in your future.