When it comes to our future, many of us have dreams about getting into a lucrative career doing something that we really enjoy. However, for many people this dream will never become a reality for one of a number of reasons. Some people simply make no effort to try and get the qualifications and training that they need, which is why the dream will also remain a dream. However, for other people one of the things that may be standing in the way in their background.
There are certain things in your background that could stand in the way of you getting into your dream career. Of course, this does depend on the career you want to get into and also on the issues that you have in your background. For instance, if the employer does a search to find sex offenders online and something comes up about you then you will have real problems when it comes to getting many jobs. However, if you only have a non-serious driving offence you probably won’t have much of an issue as long as your dream job does not involve driving.
What types of things could have an impact?
There are various different things in your background that could have an impact when it comes to getting into your dream career. Remember, it is easier than ever for employers to find out information these days so lying on your application form is not an option. Some of the things that could have an impact on your ability to secure that dream job include:
- Previous employment and reasons for leaving: One of the things that could impact upon your ability to get into your dream career is your reasons behind leaving past jobs. If you left for valid reasons such as career progression or because you had another job, that’s fine. However, if you left due to issues such as being fired then you could be facing real issues when it comes to getting another job. Of course, the circumstances will be considered but it could pose an issue when it comes to getting any other job.
- Criminal history: If you have a criminal record, this could also affect your chances of getting into your dream job. Often, it will depend on the type of job you want to do as well as on the crime you were convicted of. However, any criminal history can have a negative impact when it comes to getting work, so this is something that you need to bear in mind.
- Credit history and score: For some types of jobs, such as accountancy, you may need to have a credit check done. If you have damaged credit and a low score, this could also impact upon your chances of getting the job that you want. Credit history is not important for all jobs but for certain ones it could be taken into consideration.
So, as you can see there are some issues that could impact on your ability to get into a certain type of job or career.
See Also the following resources:
- Hiring New Talent? Here Are Seven Ways to Spot Entrepreneurial DNA
- Common Career Paths for the Student of GIS, an Infographic from USC
- Career Tip – GEOINT Essential Body of Knowledge