URISA Announces GIS-Pro 2014 Virtual Conference Agenda
Des Plaines, IL (August 28, 2014) GIS-Pro 2014: URISA’s 52nd Annual Conference is taking placeSeptember 8-11 in New Orleans, Louisiana. For those unable to travel to the conference due to budget or time constraints, there is a unique opportunity to participate remotely.
The virtual conference begins a few days before the in-person event, on Thursday, September 4, with a two-hour virtual workshop on NG911 and the GIS Workflow, followed by conference keynote addresses, general sessions and select breakout sessions, September 9-11. Note that full virtual conference participation equals 14 hours of education that can be used towards your GISP certification or renewal and that all times are shown for the Central Time Zone.
Thursday, September 4th
- 12:00 Noon-2:00 PM
NG911 and the GIS Workflow: This virtual workshop is aimed at the GIS professional who is in one of many stages of NextGen 911 implementation with their emergency communications division. We recognize there is a sincere lack of education available aimed at the GIS professional who may not be as versed with the 911 terminology or needs. This workshop is intended to give an overview of the changes that may occur in the GIS data maintenance related to NextGen 911 implementation.
Tuesday, September 9th
Opening Comments & Keynote Address 8:30-10:00 AM
- Code for America Brigade: Citizens and Government Making Our Cities Better Together
Hear from Jill Bjers, Code for Charlotte Brigade Co-Captain and Catherine Bracey, Director of Community Organizing for Code for America and the Brigade Program. The Code for America Brigade is a fast growing, dynamic program that engages citizens and governments in collaborative projects. Hear how The City of Charlotte, North Carolina, one of only 10 governments selected for the 2014 Code for America Fellowship program initiated activities and see what they have already accomplished.
- 10:30 AM-12:00 Noon – Community Health and GIS Initiatives
- 2:00-3:30 PM – The State of GIS Certification
- 4:00-5:00 PM – Mapping your Way Into a GIS Career
Wednesday, September 10th
- 10:30 AM-12:00 Noon – ROI of High Resolution Data
- 3:30-5:00 PM – Utilizing GIS to Protect the Environment and Respond to It When It Gets Mad
GIS Management Institute Update and Wednesday Keynote Address 1:00-2:30 PM
- Hear about URISA’s GIS Management Institute which promotes professional adoption and awareness of best practices and standards in the GIS profession.
Then learn how The Data Center uses GIS to Disseminate Data in New Orleans. Allison Plyer will discuss how The Data Center supports informed decision-making, including: providing an interactive map of repopulation post-Katrina; improving upon the spatial displays of small area data from the American Community Survey; exploring the growth of jobs outside of population centers; and, documenting the vulnerability of coastal populations.
Thursday, September 11th
- 9:00-10:30 AM – GIS Drives Organizational Change
Closing Comments & Keynote Address 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon
- Hear from Steve Ressler, Founder and President of GovLoop.com, the “Knowledge Network for Government” as he discusses their latest report “20 Government Innovations That Matter” based on survey and interviews with thousands of government employees across the globe. He will discuss key top technology trends in government from Internet of Things to Mobile Service Delivery and how you can apply these innovations at your agency.
For full conference details, including breakout session descriptions, please visit our online program application. Virtual content is marked accordingly. The easiest way to see review the sessions that will be delivered virtually is to click on “Virtual Sessions” on the right side of the Sched app. This will sort the sessions by just those sessions that will be included in the virtual conference.
Virtual Conference Registration Fee: $195 for URISA Members, $245 for non-members
For complete information and online registration, visit http://www.urisa.org/education-events/gis-pro-virtual-conference/
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Related Articles on GISuser: