JCDecaux and Niantic Labs at Google Unveil US Airports Social Gaming Partnership for World Travelers
PARIS, Nov. 12, 2013 — JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC), the number one outdoor advertising company worldwide, announced today that it has launched a US Airports gaming partnership with Niantic Labs at Google for world travelers at both John F. Kennedy and Los Angeles International Airports.
Niantic Lab’s game, entitled Ingress, uses Google Maps and a layer of deep-rooted fictional conceit to create a location-based Alternate Reality Game (ARG). The vision behind Ingress was to create a "move-to-play" feel and encourage players to get off the couch and see the world around them while enjoying a truly social game. The game is intended to be played globally and revolves around the idea that there is a strange and powerful energy force gamers must battle and conquer.
More than 70 Ingress Airport virtual portals using JCDecaux digital displays have been integrated in the game at JFK and LAX main gate room areas. With 113 million passengers, both airports will provide a new dimension to existing and potential new gamers.
Jean-François Decaux, Chairman of the Executive Board and Co-CEO of JCDecaux, said: "As we see an increase in media convergence between out-of-home media and mobile technology, it seems like a natural evolution to partner with Niantic Labs at Google on this ground-breaking approach to social gaming based on location."
John Hanke, General Manager of Niantic Labs at Google, said: "Ingress marries mobile gaming and the real world, and we are excited to integrate JCDecaux’s digital display network into the Ingress game which already includes public artwork and historical sites. Our goal is to enrich everyday experiences with an element of mystery and fun by encouraging our users to look for the unexpected, and JCDecaux’s digital displays are now part of that experience."
About Niantic Labs:
Niantic Labs is a division of Google dedicated to creating mobile computing apps that interact with the real world for entertainment, education, information and more. Founded in 2011 by the team who created Google Earth, Niantic Labs explores the possibilities of getting people out in the real world through the creation of outdoor adventures and interactions with local environments in brand new ways, using technology. In November 2012, Niantic Labs launched Ingress, the geo-location-based game which involves players exploring and interacting with the real world. The mobile gaming app is currently in closed beta and available for Android devices. For more information visit www.ingress.com.
Key Figures for the Group
- 2012 revenues: €2,623; Revenues for the first nine months of 2013: €1,895.1m
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 index
- No.1 worldwide in street furniture (434,700 advertising panels)
- No.1 worldwide in transport advertising with more than 150 airports and more than 280 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (358,100 advertising panels)
- No.1 in Europe for billboards (199,600 advertising panels)
- No.1 in outdoor advertising in the Asia-Pacific region (205,000 advertising panels)
- No.1 worldwide for self-service bicycle hire
- 1,002,800 advertising panels in more than 55 countries
- Present in 3,700 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- 10,484 employees
SOURCE JCDecaux SA