This week I managed to free up a day to take in a local event that was hosted by Safe Software, this was part of their FME 2012 World Tour of events.
Honestly, I can’t imagine why anyone (particularly GeoGeeks) wouldn’t take advantage of such an event when they hit your local area. The tour stops are a great way to meet up with local Geo professionals, hear about the latest from FME (they do a great job providing loads of tips and ideas and the sales pitch is minimal) and get some ideas as to how you can use some of the Safe solutions to enhance your productivity. As an added bonus, for any existing customers, if you attend a Safe event they also will provide you with a code you can use for some future free online training… the event really is a win win for all! At the Victoria B.C. event we heard directly from Don Murray (@donatsafe) about what’s new with FME 2012, got some teasers about what’s coming with FME 2013, heard all about the offerings with FME Server (this solution is a MUST consider) and we even heard from a fgew existing customers about how they have been leveraging FME in their daily workflows. If you didn’t get a chance to catch an event you can browse the Twitter stream on the hashtag #FMEWT for some interesting comments and notes from recent events and you can even check out all the presentation slideshares which are now online – see http://www.safe.com/learning/events/archive/fme-2012-world-tour/
Some highlights from our World Tour Event:
- Safe Software is not all about spatial data… "we do all types of data"
- Every release of FME is always faster than the previous version
- Safe is also looking at new formats (currently some 278 data formats are supported) including Geo tagged video and most recently, support for LiDAR point cloud dataComing soon is the new FME data inspector, will replace the Universal Viewer and will run on all platforms
- Don from Safe loves XML "because XML is hard"
- The new FME Store is an idea place for third parties to sell their custom transformers and workspaces (templaces)… biz opp!
- FME Server express installation takes just 7 minutes
- Safe Software are data movers… helping you move your data around
- With the latest updates look for an even driven architechture
- Enhanced support is now available via the FMEpedia and see also the evangelism.safe.com resource for added help and support
- FME is not just about Geo data!
- FME 2012 is faster than a helicopter
- If you ever meet up with Don from Safe be sure to talk XML with him, you’ll have an instant friend!
- FME 2012 LiDAR cloud support is huge!
- For some great help resources from Safe be sure to checkout evangelism.safe.com
- At FME 2012 you get more lizard (meet Geography Jones!)
FYI, tomorrow, April 27 Safe will be livestreaming a n FME User event to all – Register Now!
Meet Geography Jones!
FME Mobile app… I recently got wind of an interesting tweet from Don Murray (@donatsafe) of Safe Software. In his tweet Don shared details of the first FME app to hit the Apple iTunes store! Seems Don was on the road (I think) at a FME World Tour stop and sharing updates from the event. I have very little to go on from the application page (see iTunes Store) although the following info on the FME Reporter is provided… The purpose of this app is to report location data to the new subscription service introduced in FME Server as part of the FME Server 2012 SP2 release.