Recall the USGS has realigned the geospatial programs for which the USGS has a leadership responsibility into a National Geospatial Programs Office (NGPO) to serve the needs and interests of the geospatial community. The emphasis of the NGPO will be to engage partners throughout the geospatial community in its planning and in ensuring that its unified portfolio meets the needs of those on the landscape.
The NGPO website is currently in “interim status” as the organization realignes. News and announcements posted monthly along with any other relevant items.
From the NGPO… By June 30, 2006, transform the processes of Government necessary to implement key components of the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI)
- Providing leadership and guidance for key stakeholders
- Facilitate policy development
- Provide incentives
- Facilitate the development of key standards and data models
- Coordinate and facilitate the governance structure for the NSDI
- Negotiate collaborative agreements with stakeholders
- Facilitate the development of a national Geospatial Enterprise Architecture
- Provide a forum for technology transfer, best practices, and program guidance
For a complete backgrounder see the official announcement USGS establishes National Geospatial Programs Office. For a look at the future of the NGPO you can check out Adena’s take
Contact the NGPO Here