Today via the Apple WorldWide Developer Conference details of the latest enhancements to Apple’s iOS 10 were announced.
Via the event main stage a detailed and lengthy presentation of 10 new, improved features in iOS 10 was shared:
- User experience – redesigned lockscreen, better notifications and expanded use of 3D touch
- Siri – servicing over 2 billion requests a week. Siri now opened up to developers
- Quick typing
- Photo improvement with icloud photo library. See your photos on a map and the use of advanced computer vision (facial recognition) – organizing based on location. Advanced photo and video analysis to create compelling video memories from important events and memories.
- All new design for maps. Easy access to controls and details. Slide up from bottom to view suggestions, like suggested routes to work and suggested places based on your likes and preferences. More information also built into navigation, also includes traffic and the ability to pan and zoom ahead to view traffic conditions. These updates available via car play as well.
- All new apple music has been re-designed for greater clarity and simplicity. The music is the hero and the design emphasizes important features
- 2000+ publications in Apple news. All new design to news and improvements with subscriptions and addition of breaking news notifications.
- HomeKit – new categories supported along with improved UI and functionality.
- Phone enhancements – addition of voicemail transcription of incoming calls, even has an extention API to help with things like spam calling recognition.
- Messages – now included rich links (includes images and art from the web), video can play inside the message transcript. Camera enhancements within messages to quickly add media to a message, more options for emoji creation including predictions and more.
Bonus… split view screen in Safari on iPad – allows viewing two web pages on one screen, cool!
Also, Apple is making an effort to open up more areas to developers, for example, devs can now access Siri functionality to build on her capabilities and include Siri in custom solutions!
Keep an eye open on Apple Beta programs at https://beta.apple.com/
Follow tweets and updates from Apple WWDC on twitter via #wwdc2016